People love to travel and visit various places to relax and discover certain things about it. But what if you go to a place where there is no internet connection available and no strong signal for your cell phone?
Suppose the area is remote where you may not have access to the online navigation application to search for roadways, directions, and places like Google Map, Waze, MapQuest, and many more. It would turn out to be irritating, frustrating, and stressful.
Thus, we decided to look upon a solution to your problem to enjoy traveling even to remote areas, and that is the Benchmark Maps. Is it your first time hearing these words? If that is so, let us give you knowledge about this featured map to have insights into how it could be useful for you.
And so, let’s map out the information, details, and ideas we would present to you the purpose, features, use, and importance of a map for campers and travelers.
A mark that serves as a reference point used to measure something and in surveying known as a permanent mark established at a particular elevation is very well-known as a “benchmark.” It is also the basis used to measure other topographical points in a specific area or state, not only in America but also in other parts of the world.
On the other side, a map represents a specific area’s physical characteristics, including cities, coastal areas, roads, trails, and many more that show it diagrammatically.
When we put a benchmark and map together, we could have a benchmark map, a type of map, and useful gear that is bigger and has a lot of details provided, including the elevation, latitude, longitude, legends, symbols, emblems, signs, and flags. You could also find other information such as the contact information of different federal agencies and government departments that could help a camper or traveler.
The Benchmark Map is a map or atlas created by the forest service and details a particular state. It only focuses on one state with a significant amount of detailed information, particularly when it comes to camping sites, roadways, activities like trails, and amenities. It helps you as a traveler and camper understand the data you gathered using a map to color and pictured the place’s details or state based on a regional or national average.
If you are a newbie, you may use it as gear to explore areas, whether public or secluded, with unique features, which could be a few miles away from the campsite or park where you encamp.
Aside from the information regarding the area’s administrative and road boundaries, you could also find all the data, including Forests & Wildlife Areas, Boating & Fishing, State Park, RV parks, River Rafting Areas, public campgrounds, climate or weather information. There is other information available here, such as the locations of lighthouses, factories, roadways, trails, establishments, restaurants, and hotels around the state are in a list of formats that you could find in the map pages easily. You could also have the contact information of different federal government agencies in America, such as the United States Forest Service (USFS). You could also contact the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) and many more to send a message and reply to it happen unexpectedly.
Suppose you are looking for a map that would help you find the exact location and exclusive details about a specific area you may want to visit but you are not familiar with since you are a newbie. In that case, it must have the following features to provide you a great source of information and diagrams about the place. We listed all the features that you have to look at and consider upon using benchmark maps.
- Content- is an essential part of the map or atlas. It includes the characteristics and origin of the legend or symbol, seal, emblem, logo, sign, or flags, making the map easy to read and understand.
- Cartographic design- is the atlas design that shows and represents the geographic, topographic, contour lines, elevation, latitude, and longitude of a specific place or area’s roadways, trails, and other parts of the site to do camping and visit.
- Portability- is an aspect of the recreation map or recreation atlas that many campers and travelers also consider since camping. They want all the things they might need during camping are portable and easy to access.
- Clarity- is an essential feature of a recreation atlas or map since not all campers and travelers could easily read and understand the information given and listed. So, clarity in all information, details, content, and even the roadways’ symbols that the map represents to reply and support the camper’s needs.
- Order- is a process of organizing all the map’s symbols, legends, elements, emblems, signs, logos, flags, road signages, and all information listed. An organized map would help the campers, travelers, or guests understand and quickly read the map.
- Balance- is another aspect of the atlas that is important. Several campers could not easily understand the entire map, mainly when it contains an overly and unequally distributed element placed on the map, making the evenness of the data not present. So, balance is an important feature you have to look at in every map you would use.
- Contrast- another necessary feature of the atlas that ensures that all the essential elements must stand out compared to the less important factors to reply and support the camper’s needs.
- Unity- is the coherence of the data and several elements when you put it up altogether to make the map’s appearance as a whole single coherent.
- Harmony- is the fitting of the elements together, which is natural and executes perfectly to reply and support the camper’s need.
- Accuracy- is one of the essential features of a recreation atlas and map. It must have accurate data and information regarding the road and area’s latitude, longitude, elevation, and most importantly, the address and contact information of the place you would like to visit.
All the given features above the benchmark maps are essential to observe by the campers, travelers, and visitors to understand the map and use it without problems quickly.
Campers like you must bring a map or atlas, a compass, gear, and other essential gadgets when you camp to find the area or campground you desire to pay a visit. Normal maps are helpful, but it could not provide you with the smallest to most important data and information you might need, unlike using benchmark maps. So, we listed all the reasons why you should use a map when camping.
It is an excellent source of camping locations
A map or gear is an excellent source for finding campground areas and RV and tent camping locations. It is also best for field-checking, making it easy for campers to see the public campground, national parks, RV parks, state parks, and even the available backcountry campgrounds, trails, and roadways.
You could also find in the recreation map a color-coded section and a shaded relief section. Color-coded sections in the recreation map represent the public lands, trails, and roadways where you could go camping. In contrast, the shaded relief sections help you picture the terrain you would encounter as you visit a random place or campground. You could not see the roads that you could find in the backcountry. But you could see the right roads for all vehicles to travel safely.
It is suitable for providing contact information and details
You could not expect that this recreation wall map or recreation atlas could provide you with accurate information and details about various federal government agencies’ contact information that you could reach out when unnecessary things happen during your travel. Luckily, the map provides all the agencies and government departments’ contact information responsible and accountable in the area you are visiting.
This recreation atlas or recreation wall map could also give you the exact addresses and locations of the hotels, inns, resorts, restaurants, factories, roadways, and other establishments you could find in a specific area of the state you visit. It is beneficial for newbies and experienced campers. You could contact them or reply to them through the use of phone calls and messages in case you lost on your way.
It also listed the specific rules and regulations of a particular state
Not all wall maps or atlas you could find might include some essential details on most pages, like the rules and regulations of the state you are visiting. Fortunately, the map provides you with all the details regarding a particular area of the state’s rules and regulations about the roadways, camping site, trails, fishing areas, and many more that you may want to visit. It is an important insight, especially for first-time campers who want to visit a particular state or area.
It could also help you with all the details that you could not find online
There are sets of information and details about a particular place that you could not find online. But, a recreation wall map or recreation atlas could provide you with tons of information and details that the internet connection or online could not support in the area of a particular state you plan to visit.
This recreation atlas or recreation wall map could show you all the offshoot roads, dirt roads, and other paved roads, including trails you may encounter as you visit a particular campground, RV park, State park National State Park Forest. It is also the best option for you if you don’t have access to an internet connection or are in remote areas to reply and support the camper’s needs.
We listed all the reasons why you should use a wall map when camping in a specific area. It would be a great source, the right data gear provider, and most significantly, it has the complete details that you might need to know when visiting a particular state or area.
A map is an essential type of recreation atlas or recreation wall map that campers must know and understand when camping in campgrounds or other areas. It would help them understand how to use it right to get lost in the road or when trailing. Suppose you are a newbie in camping and don’t have enough map reading experience. In that case, you might experience difficulty in reading a map because it is a bit different from regular maps.
You probably start stressing out yourself because a map is a unique type of map with an intuitive layout from the front page to the back page. You don’t have to stress out because we would guide you on adequately reading map pages today. Provided as follows:
Campers must know what legends are commonly and mainly used on the map many years ago. You could see it within the map’s cover for you to have an easy reference since legends contain symbols for every section of the map, like roads and landscape. There are also metric and English conversion tables available on the map to give you additional guidance.
Table of Contents
Every book or combination of papers must have a table of contents. It is easy to access every part of the recreation map to look upon it with so many pages. You could also see the color-coded tabs for Recreation wall map guides, landscape maps, metro maps, regional maps, and the index. Campers must know the table of content of this recreation atlas for precisely locating the information you might need to know if you didn’t travel to the area for years.
United States of America Roads and Highways
You have to know about the recreation atlas when reading the United States of America highway road system provided for the reader’s convenience. It also gives the readers of the map an elevation perspective of the entire state. It could help first-time or new travelers or campers of a particular area unfamiliar with the roadways in the United States of America since some of the streets and highways improved many years ago.
Regional Highway System
The Regional Highway road System is a system that provides detail about the interstate, particularly the region of the featured country, including the Pacific Northwest, Southwest, Mountain West, and others. It also includes county seats and its population, which helps newbies who didn’t travel many years ago.
Recreation Map Guide
It is the part of the recreation map that people particularly pay attention to, especially those in camping. It could help you prepare yourself for outdoor activities, road trips, and adventures that await you. Benchmark is the most trusted guide for newbies to discovering the particular National State or county landscape that you would love and enjoy.
Here are the recreation maps’ activities and attractions guide where you could choose and select all-years adventure experience for new campers. It includes the following:
- wildlife areas,
- state and national forests,
- ghost towns
- ski areas
- state park,
- national park,
- National historic area or sites,
- mountain area opportunities
- campgrounds and RV park with the complete number of site and services listed
You could also find information about the regional climate. It provides you with data about the monthly average levels of precipitation, including rain or snow, and the low or high temperatures of the area you want to visit. They also have a list of the climates that they experienced in specific areas many years ago.
Public Lands Recreation Map
There are also available ownership and public lands and roadways guides through color-coded legends that inform the campers who didn’t travel in the area many years ago.
- Game Management Units
- National Forest Service
- National State Park
- Wildlife/Conservation Areas
- National Park and Monuments
Besides guides or recreation maps, you could also find Metro Map in the recreation atlas and map. It provides data and visualization of the arteries, major streets, and highways, which helps you as a new camper or traveler to understand and know more about a particular state’s metropolitan area if you didn’t travel for years. It also has a walking map for downtown areas that campers would enjoy to discover and visit.
A recreation wall map would not complete without the index. The index also provided and categorized the list for activities listed as follows:
- mountain peaks, ranges, and physical features
- mountain passes
- Network areas
- Lakes and rivers
- drainage features
- wildlife areas
- national park
- state park
And the last part of the recreation wall map guide to reading is the back cover. It provides an invitation for the readers to make additions and suggestions to each part of the recreation map that they think could improve safety, accuracy, and experience in the state they are going to visit.
These are how you must read the map for clarity, organization, and accuracy of the information to understand and rely on your comrades during camping.
As the modern era approaches and technology arises, digital applications enter the picture. Different digital platforms bloomed fast that even maps became digital like Google Map, Waze, MapQuest, and many more. Traditional maps or atlases like the folded version of the map that existed many years ago still exist today. In this part, let’s talk about the difference between digital and folded versions of the recreation wall map.
The digital recreation map has four categories to offer, listed as follows:
It is a type of digital map available for iOS gear and Android phone users. It is the largest digital store of the map that you could use anywhere. You could purchase both landscapes and recreation wall map.
It is also a type of digital map available for iOS gear and Mac users. You could find a wall or landscape map here.
Atlas Landscape Map
It is the enormous scale and the section of the printed Road and Recreation atlas map series. It offers a seamless download of digital maps in each state in the western part of America, useful for new and experienced campers.
The folded map’s popular digital version is the digital version of our folded map or recreation atlas. It is better than a state recreation map, a great source of the statewide reference map, and has a lower cost than landscape or recreation wall maps, which is perfect for new campers who didn’t travel many years ago. It also has a rich content of county lines, hunting unit boundaries, public lands, trails, arterial highways, point-to-point distances, outdoor activities POI, replying area, and many more.
On the other hand, a folded type of map or atlas is the original and traditional version. Many campers, both new and experienced one still prefer using it since it would not require you to have an internet connection, strong signal for replying to messages, or even GPS gear to find a particular place. You could find all the details and information you might need to see and use when camping. Recreation wall map or recreation atlas includes the camping locations, the exact address of the campsite, contact pieces of information of both site and state departments, rules, and regulations. A long time ago, a recreation wall map guide included trailing, hiking, and many more, and amenities to enjoy, and most importantly, several details that you could not search or find online.
Both folded and digital map or recreation atlas is a helpful gear in different aspects and ways. You could select between the two for campers, but above all of these, you must know and understand the map before you purchase either folded or digital versions.
As you camp and travel, you must bring things and RV essentials that you might need when reading a map like a map or an atlas to quickly understand and cope with all the details provided for you.
- GPS– several campers, especially the new campers, may not have any experience in map readings. So, if that is the case, you could bring gear or gadgets like Global Positioning System (GPS) within your RV. It is to avoid losing your path provided by the map to follow.
- Cell signal booster– you don’t have an internet connection provider within your RV to operate your digital map. You have to bring a cell signal booster to uplift your data connection to use your digital map to reach your destination area. And to contact and reply to your friends and family’s messages.
- Compass- when you do hiking, trailings, or hunting, a compass is essential along with your folded map because it would help you not to get lost when finding your back in the site or area you visit. Map and compass is an essential combination that campers must-have.
- Cell Phone- is essential to use when you use your digital map. If you are not fond of bringing a physical map, you have to bring your cellphone to your digital map or atlas platform. It is a gadget used to communicate and reply to different comrades’ messages when you accidentally lost the area’s path.
- Radio and location devices- is another essential gadget that campers must bring when camping or traveling in a specific area. You have to be aware of the area’s code, rules, regulations, news, or even the climate and weather of the area you want to visit. Sometimes a digital map or atlas could not provide you enough details, so radio and location devices are what you need.
A Benchmark map is a very helpful and beneficial map or atlas for both campers and travelers, whether new or experienced. It provides all the data and information you might need in your travel and campings.
Some may find it challenging to understand and to read because of tons of information, symbols or recreation and trailing areas, legends, emblems, and many features within the map, both folded and digital. But we assure you that when you understand it, you could enjoy all your getaway in every state and area you desire to go and to visit.
We want to help you understand the map because it contains details and insights that ordinary maps could not give. All the data, information, and explanation we listed above may provide you what you are looking for and what you need to know about the map.
Maps are useful in our adventure, so we hope that our blog may guide you on a benchmark map and how valuable it is for campers like you. Have a safe trip!