This stunning National Forest in Northern Georgia comprises two United States national forests. Thus, this enticing place is composed of an eastern and western forest. Recognized as one of the most extensive national forests east of the Mississippi River, this area spans over 750,000 acres of mountainous forest land in north Georgia. It encompasses the Conasauga Etowah rivers’ headwaters, a part of the Coosa River Basin project for nature conservancy.
It adjoins the Cherokee National Forest in Tennessee, the Nantahala National Forest in North Carolina, and the Sumter National Forest in South Carolina to create one of the most extensive public lands in the eastern US. It is working with the U.S. Forest Service and private landowners. The project has engaged in numerous restoration and facilitated public-private land deals since 1997.
The Oconee National Forest offers many different camping experiences, including “developed” and “dispersed.” The campground there is relatively modern as it has at least a few amenities, yet there is still a more highly modern-looking campsite that includes everything the campers need. Some campers love privacy and solitude, which is why it is allowed to have dispersed camping in several places within the national forest boundary.
Why Go On A Camping Trip in Chattahoochee National Forest?
© Dawson Local News
The national forest of Chattahoochee is such a transcendently unique and astonishing destination. It is perfect for camping as it has eye-catching woodlands, dazzling streams, and several outdoor adventures that campers would be gruntled. The camping adventure in this place will be incredibly memorable as it is an area that acquires numerous activities that one can be fond of.
One can say that camping here is an absolute must because of its splendid beauty that is thoroughly evident. Besides, there are spotted campsites along the graveled National Forest Road 44, just in Helen’s north. Most people can describe the campground as primitive, yet it is still beautiful. It is at the campsites that the campers will surely get immensely satisfied.
These prehistoric-looking campsites featured a stone fire ring and graveled turn-off for parking. The Chattahoochee has many campgrounds in many different locations across Georgia. Some campgrounds are more aesthetically-pleasing than others, and some of them are not and look simple but beautiful.
Numerous people who own recreational vehicles enjoy their camping in Chattahoochee. The mentioned national forest has always been one of the favorites of RVers since they got to spend their time camping there in the campground Chattahoochee. It has an utterly stunning campground as long as any other national forest in the state of Georgia.
It is one reason campers tend to do some camping in the campground Chattahoochee because of its calm and relaxing vibes. No wonder this state is known for being a terrain that spans multiple coastal beaches, farmland, and even superb mountains. Listed below are some of the trails and beautiful spots nearby that one can go to:
Nearby Breathtaking Parks for Camping
There are various state parks nearby that are breathtaking because it has vastly stunning scenery that will make everyone impressed and would not want to leave. The state parks are still naturally preserved, making them look magnificent. Their spectacular view will make us drop our jaws. They are the best state parks from the fresh green leaves of trees, cool breezing air, and crystal clear water.
It is widely known as a famous and astounding park as it has a 22-acre lake, multiple hiking trails, an ancient museum, contemporary cottages, and a not-so-bustling surrounding. In terms of accessibility, it has a wheelchair-accessible entrance, and its amenities are truly good for kids. Moreover, it is evident how preserved the state park is, from the mountain reflecting onto the clear water. The trees and plants are protected by rangers, making everything look so beautiful on how it is supposed to be. It is a place where one can feel calmness and peacefulness as it sheerly acquires an incredible view.
This fantastic fairytale-like state park is near Chatsworth and Ellijay on Fort Mountain. The magnificent state park opened in 1938. One of the reasons why many tourists and RVers keep going back to this place is the sprawling park and hiking trail.
There is also an old fort and a lake with a beach, perfect for summer or days with hot weather. Aside from that, there is horseback riding that makes the campers more satisfied. It is indeed a good thing to visit this place because aside from its ancient history as a state park, it also attains a friendly and pleasant review by having such a high rate of reviews. Most campers said that this state park’s campground is the best because the view from the top is stunning, the fire tower renovation is so fascinating.
There is even a graceful waterfall on the side of the trail. It is such a great campground with a lake trail and breathtaking beach. Also, it is worth seeing the historic drive and its extraordinary long-range views.
Many campers’ reviews have emphasized the spacious campground and the several recreation areas that travelers can visit. Some examples of such activities are hiking (easy and moderate trail), swimming, kayaking, a large playground for kids, mini-golf for men, adults, canoes, and such. This site is a perfect destination. One can tell that this place is not only for adults but for all people too and it is ideal for RVers and even for some family trips.
© Atlanta Hiking
You can find this state park in Dawsonville, GA, and it is famously known as such a clean place because of its several features such as waterfall, hiking trails, and varieties of lodging, from the campground to a modern setup. Like any other individual state park, it is also a wheelchair-accessible entrance in terms of accessibility, and the amenities are suitable for children. This state park is quite popular, and it gains attention from other campers as it is said by many that the Amicalola Falls is the superlative falls that they have seen so far, and by that, the most liked feature in this park.
The serenity and cleanliness in this place are pretty outstanding, and that is why more and more campers are getting encouraged to go there. It has beyond exceptional falls as a route along the waterfall from the front parking lot. This path is exceptionally exquisite, which is why this park has a high rating due to the beauty that it has, and if we look at its other features, there is even a wooden staircase to get to the top. Additionally, there is also a spot for some picnic on its bottom, plus everything feels so moderate and comfortable. In hiking, it will not take more than fifteen minutes to see the beauty of both the river and the mountains.
Must-Try Activities in Chattahoochee Forest
There are innumerable recreational kinds of stuff and entertainment to try to give oneself satisfaction and pleasure. Spending some time in a state park is calm and serene, but engaging ourselves with activity is worth trying as it can even hone our skills and generate good memories for us. Frankly, doing an activity in the Chattahoochee forest sounds so ideal as it is something that we must do when we visit there. Let us be engaged in doing usual things yet let us also do things that we have not tried or done before because later on, it can be our hobby instead of just staying in the campground and not knowing too much about the place we go to.
- Horse Riding
© Niagra Stables
Sitting on a horse may appear to be relatively easy and comfortable, yet learning to ride a horse or the so-called “horseback riding” is immensely difficult because, like other sports, this activity has a bit of a learning curve that visitors must overcome do it rightly.
Bicycling is an everyday activity done outdoors, yet doing it in this destination is unique and incredible. It is something worth trying as one can feel the serenity of the place while biking there.
© Rawpixel / Adobe Stock
Instead of just staying in a tent, it sounds good to go fishing. It even helps in releasing oneself from a highly stressful, everyday environment. This activity is such an ideal thing to do if looking for something to do as an RVer.
© wavebreak3 / Adobe Stock
Reconnecting with nature is the primary goal of this activity. This experience might be just common to others. Yet, it is one of the most important things to do as it helps revitalize your relationship within yourself and allows you to be entirely independent in other things.
© artinspring / Adobe Stock
Hiking is a little too familiar for long-time campers, yet little did we know that hiking even in just a short period can reduce our risk of heart disease, and it can also help lower one’s blood pressure. It merely means that it can prevent us from acquiring heart illnesses. Thus, the best part of hiking is getting to the peak and seeing the view around you.
This activity is an alternative to hiking. Both experiences have few similarities and many differences as you could not get into the mountain’s summit by just using a vehicle or an auto. With this activity, you will tend to appreciate the destination’s beauty without exerting too much physical energy.
© WavebreakMediaMicro / Adobe Stock
A picnic with yourself or alone is not a bad thing as you can enjoy the view and your food all by yourself or can also be with others if you have a companion.
Where to Stop in Georgia?
An outdoor trip is nothing if you do not know where to park your RV. One must be aware enough about the site on which you can park. There are multiple parking spaces nearby, plus they are pretty recommendable, and it is also worth the price. Knowing where to park your RV is a must, especially as there are increasing complaints regarding some RVers who park anywhere. Due to that, below is the list of destinations where you can park.
Complete Address: 1033 Fairmount Hwy SE, Calhoun, GA 30701, United States
Phone Number: +17066256500
Other Description: On Highway 53, this hotel is only less than a mile from the Calhoun Outlet Marketplace.
Complete Address: 713 Transit Ave, Canton, GA 30114, United States
Phone Number: +17704797300
Other Description: In a commercial venue off Interstate 575, this casual hotel is 2 miles away from the Historic Downtown Canton Cannon Park.
Complete Address: 136 Mountain Creek Rd, Blairsville, GA 30512, United States
Phone Number: +17068351111
Other Description: The customers rated it as good due to the available sites for sightseeing, recreation area and getting around.
Complete Address: 65 R Ranch Rd, Dahlonega, GA 30533, United States
Phone Number: +17068646444
Other Description: This is a woodsy cabin in a rustic lodge. It has two fishing lakes, an
outdoor pool & horseback riding to enjoy.
Complete Address: 350 Haley Cir, Blairsville, GA 30512, United States
Phone Number: +17067454523
Other Description: Found along the banks of Lake Nottely, this park offers
the serenity and peace of a mountainside view.
Complete Address: 127 Beartooth Pkwy, Dawsonville, GA 30534, United States
Phone Number: +17062161900
Other Description: The Amicalola Falls State Park and Appalachian Trail are 22.3 miles away from this hotel near Highway 19.
Complete Address: 79 Sunshine St, Blairsville, GA 30512, United States
Phone Number: +17067455719
Other Description: 15 miles North of I-40- just East of I-49 off Hwy. 71 between Fayetteville and Fort Smith, it can be found just below Lake Fort Smith State Park in Mountainburg, joining Frog Bayou and Warloop Creeks.
Complete Address: 1000 Paradise Valley Rd, Cleveland, GA 30528, United States
Phone Number: +17068659645
Other Description: This site is an excellent and quiet place with a gated community with numerous amenities.
Complete Address: 7077 Old Hwy 76, Morganton, GA 30560, United States
Phone Number: +17062588908
Other Description: This site is an 8-minute walk from the Blue Ridge Dam, and it is 4 miles away from the Blue Ridge Zipline Canopy Tours & Adventure Park.
Complete Address: 984 Loving Rd, Morganton, GA 30560, United States
Phone Number: +17068518855
Other Description: A well-maintained and preserved place consisting of excellent and large sites or campgrounds. Clean and beautifully decorated, most especially on holidays.
Complete Address: 514 Diamond Lure Rd, Ellijay, GA 30536, United States
Phone Number: +17062733075
Other Description: This family-owned campground opened in 1973. Visitors commend it for being a perfect place for sightseeing, recreation, and getting around.
Complete Address: 48 Haley Cir, Blairsville, GA 30512, United States
Phone Number: +17067458899
Other Description: Most visitors describe this site as a peaceful, beautiful, serene setting, with a great atmosphere, and is packed with beautiful people to meet.
Complete Address: 5100 Choestoe Falls Cir, Blairsville, GA 30512, United States
Phone Number: +17067450535
Other Description: Its unique features include a recreational area or playground, an eye-catching park, and a sports site.
Complete Address: 11481 Aska Rd, Blue Ridge, GA 30513, United States
Phone Number: +17068384317
Other Description: This place boasts a splendidly cozy bedroom, it is popular with families and offers excellent services.
Complete Address: 2060 US-76, Hiawassee, GA 30546, United States
Phone Number: +17065752182
Other Description: It offers modern conveniences such as water, electricity, telephone, cable services, and more.
Fascinating Lakes to Visit
Lakes are one of the tourist attractions that campers will always love to visit, from the wholly clear, clean, freshwater to the peace of mind that it can give due to it being such a marvelous place. Lakes nearby are the best as most of the reservoirs or enlarged lakes can be found there. Campers or visitors can even do some fishing or boating while in that place. Listed below are lakes that are must-visit as it has wondrous scenery.
- Lake Allatoona
© Lakes Online
Allatoona is clear as crystal, and it also provides drinking water for the nearby communities. It is a massive lake that is perfect for fishing or boating. Campers even tend to extend their vacation because of the beauty of this place.
- Lake Blackshear
© Explore Georgia
This water body is an artificial lake created in 1930 by the Crisp County Power Dam. named after David Blackshear, the founder of nearby Fort Early. The Cypress trees are a sight to behold in the middle of the lake. It is nice to watch the sunset here while having a drink.
- Lake Seminole
© Explore Georgia
This lake is closer to the city of Tallahassee than any metropolitan area. It is well-known for its dense goose population and known for its variety of wildlife. Watch out for the infamous alligators in the area. With a campground and cottage for rent, a sand beach, smooth water for tubing and skiing, and great fishing, it is such a great place to take the family for the weekend to explore something new.
- Lake Lanier
© Explore Georgia
This lake served as the venue for the canoeing races of the 1996 Olympics, which gives it a dash of exciting history. This vast lake is sure to provide you with precisely what you are looking for, a fantastic view. We recommend looking into renting a houseboat for your stay.
- Lake Blue Ridge
© Explore Georgia
The lake in its current state is a bit smaller than before the year 2010. There was a time when the management drained the lake to repair the physical dam. Once repaired, there was concern about ground shifting in 2011, so the lake’s water level needed to be reduced by a bit to avoid complications.
Nearby Paths to Hike
© Lonely Planet
This vast woodland also has multiple trails that hikers can enjoy, be sure to check one of these trails nearby!
- Anna Ruby Falls
- It is an 0.8-mile track that sees many visitors; enthusiasts can find it near Helen, GA. This path features a waterfall; additionally, it is excellent for all skill levels.
- And is famous for hiking, walking, bird watching, etc.
- Bull Mountain Trail
- This 9.5 mile is lightly populated even in peak season, and hikers can find the back trail near Dahlonega, GA, which offers the opportunity to see wildlife and other extraordinary things.
- It is full of single tracks, and there is even plenty of fast downhill throughout. It also comes in two parts. The upper part is smoother singletrack with a broader corridor and ends at the intersection, while the bottom section is relatively narrow.
- Frady Branch Trail System
- It is a 4.15-mile trail system in 4240 Hwy 184, Toccoa, a popular place among horseback riders, and the trail is also open to mountain bike riders and hikers.
- Four loops give opportunities for different experiences on the trail system. The parking space has separate sections for mountain bikers, hikers, and horse trailers.
- Raven Cliffs Trailhead
- This path is a 5.8-mile heavily-trafficked trail and back trail near Helen, Georgia; it features a beautiful waterfall and has moderate hiking difficulty.
- The trail is famous for several things such as hiking, running, nature trips, and also fishing.
- Appalachian Trail
- This site is a scenic 76-mile path boasting a hiking trail with rugged canyons and diverse wildlife.
- Each year, many hikers attempt a thru-hike; unfortunately, only about 25% of visitors make it all the way. A typical hiker takes 5 to 7 months to hike the entire AT (Appalachian Trail).
- Cooper Furnace Nature Trail
- It is a 1.7-mile path or loop trail near Emerson in GA that features a lake and is suitable for all skill levels.
- The trail is used for hiking, walking, and running and is accessible year-round.
- Bear Creek Trail
- A 6.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail found near Ellijay, Georgia, features a river and is rated as moderate.
- The trail offers many activity options.
- Edge of the World Hiking Trail
- The trail leading to the Edge of the World swimming hole is about 3 miles long.
- It is not overly complicated, and it follows the Amicalola River until it leads to the swimming hole.
- Vickery Creek Trail Parking
- The Vickery Creek is a 3.4-mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Roswell, GA.
- The parking is quite limited, so one must go early to have a parking space.
It is essential to do various preparations before going anywhere to ensure that your travel experience will happen the way you want. Preparing your things and yourself is a must to assure that everything will go well and pleasant as we do not want our journey to be thoroughly crucial. Pack up the things you need and do not overpack because it will make your stuff messy, which is not a good thing.
Good Tips to Follow Before Traveling
- Determine if you will be with your family, friends, or groups; it is essential to know your companion or co-campers during the trip. It is a must for this kind of thing to be ready for the next step.
- Get health and insurance information. Honestly, health insurance plays a huge role in our lives. It is vital to have such things as health information, so if ever someone is injured, then the insurance information will immediately act upon it.
- Ready a first aid kit. It is a must bring because it helps one heal minor injuries and other things to help you secure your health, including medicine.
- Pack your food. Make sure to pack foods that have an appropriate amount for you. Never bring any dairy products and meat; it can make you feel sick and ill camping. Just bring healthy foods and snacks to go smoothly on your trip.
- Pack up all your things. As long as you can, put your smaller items in a small backpack that includes all the necessary items; for packing sleeping bags, some campers opt to carry them within a garbage bag since it is massive. It is convenient to use those in packing up your things.
- No to overpacking. Overpacking will make your things messy or less organized.
- Put everything into your RV, and you are ready to go! Remember to drive safely and use a virtual map to locate the place you will quickly.
Permits, Reservations, and Regulations
The permits, reservations, and regulations are particular things that a traveler must know about the place before they travel. It is utterly essential because it will give the camper enough awareness or cognizance of their surroundings.
GA’s law requires anglers age 16 and older to have a current fishing license in their possession while fishing in the rivers, ponds, and lakes around the venue.
In addition to that, all resident and non-resident anglers ages 16 to 64 must have a trout stamp to fish.
Reservations are a must in this campground. Tourists planning to visit can quickly make it online through their website or by calling the site’s toll-free hotline at 1-877-444-6777
- Camping in a campground is limited to a period and must not exceed two weeks.
- A new campground may not be re-established within 1 mile of the vacated campground for seven days.
- A minimum of one person must occupy a specific area during the first night after the camp’s equipment has been set up. Some situations may require permission needs from the Ranger.
- There is a curfew in the campground between 10 PM and 6 AM. No one can exit or enter the premises during this time except for the persons already occupying the campground.
- Operating a motorboat powered by internal combustion engines is not allowed
- Specific sites do not allow launching, storing, or leaving a boat or raft on or near lakes; look for warning signs.
Mobile Home Essentials
Surely, RVers must never forget their RV essentials, yet do they bring what’s essential or what they think is necessary? This review is the perfect guide to know what to get for a trip and further help maximize spaces by efficiently using it. Below you can find some RV essentials to bring.
- Signal Booster – Signal boosters enhance cellular network signal for 2G, 3G, 4G LTE, and 5G bandwidth. It works with most cellular devices, like mobile phones, tablets, netbooks, and laptops. This area is pretty much covered with canopies and might block cellular signals; just to be safe, we recommend purchasing one of these signal boosters.
- Oxidation Remover – the lakes near the campground provides a fantastic opportunity for you to experience fishing or even boating. However, because your RV will most likely get drenched by mud and water for the duration of your stay in the area, we feel like it is best to bring oxidation remover to keep your recreational vehicle protected from any damage.
- Grill – After a long day of hard work and fishing, nothing beats grilling; you catch and prepare a hearty meal. Purchasing a portable grill will go a long way to ensure you will be preparing well-cooked meals in the future tailored to your taste.
- LED Lights – Although power sources are available on each site, that doesn’t mean the whole area is well lit. Some online reviews say that the only light sources are the main buildings and restrooms once the night sets. We think it will be best to put up LED Lights surrounding your campground to make it more visible once nightfall settles. This practice allows you to locate your place easier and makes other people aware that the area has occupants.
- Door locker – Purchasing a solid door lock is not about assuming people can do bad things to you while you are camping; we like to think about it as assurance; it keeps you and your family safe at your most vulnerable. We recommend getting the best door lock for your RV, and this can ensure you will sleep better and keep your possessions safe. This way, you can spend your time enjoying the place rather than worrying about your vehicles’ security,
- Coffee Maker – One of the most extraordinary experiences in the Chattahoochee forest is the sunrise over the lakes around it. To make a morning better, drink coffee while watching the sunrise from one of these natural beauties.
- General Essentials to Pack in an RV
- Electrical hookup cords
- Sewer hose
- A cable for TV connection
- Mobile hotspot for reliable WiFi
Tents, sleeping bags, and sleeping pads
Using tents is a must as it offers you extreme protection against the rain and sun as it has full coverage from all sides. While sleeping inside the tent, you can also seal up the tent to prevent the rain or sunlight from entering.
Hammocks, chairs, and lighting
Choose your hammock wisely. Battle the coldness you are feeling with a hammock under a quilt. Invest in a bug net. The right hammock angle. The famous hammock diagonal lay. Tarp setup for extra protection. Invest in tree straps. Beware of the hammock setup location as it is crucial. On the other hand, a camp chair helps a lot if you sit next to the campfire. Lighting is reasonably needed if there is some sort of emergency and for other uses.
Cookware, tables, and tasty food
Truly an integral part of your gear, and it is essential always to have the best cookware to not only give you a comfortable experience but save you loads of time and inconvenience. Tasty foods and tables are also must-haves to feel comfy while eating.
First Aid Kit
No one knows if we will be injured or get physically hurt or ill, which is why a first aid kit must always be on our side so it will be easier for us to heal ourselves and get well as quickly as possible. It is so suitable for immediate needs and minor injuries. However, these first aid essentials are essential to have, so if ever there are injuries, it will immediately help, and by that, you and your family can continue enjoying the rest of your trip.
- Toiletries (Shampoo and conditioner, body wash, and facial lotion)
- Toilet paper
- Toilet chemicals or cleaner
- Window coverings.
- DVDs, books, or other indoor entertainment stuff
- Personal electronics such as laptops, cell phones, together with their chargers
- Prescription and preventative medications
- Cleaning supplies including chemicals, hand vacuum, wet mop, etc
- Large outdoor ground covering
- Bug spray
Nearby Establishments That You Can Visit
Aside from acquiring such fantastic scenery, there are also numerous establishments nearby that one can go to as they offer several services that will make us beyond satisfied.
Here are the Establishments around that you should visit:
|Name: Yumiko (Japanese Restaurant)|
Address: 9117 Selborne Ln, Palmetto, GA 30268-2269
Social Media Link: HOME | Yumiko (serenbesushi.com)
|Name: The Paddock|
Address: 8000 Capps Ferry Rd Foxhall Resort & Sporting Club, Douglasville, GA 30135-6525
Social Media Link: Restaurants in Douglasville GA | The Pheasant Blue | Foxhall Resort
Address: 9135 Roosevelt Hwy, Palmetto, GA 30268-1849
Social Media Link: Bojangles’ Famous Chicken ‘n Biscuits | Home
|Name: Ingles Markets|
Address: 207 B Hwy 515, Blairsville, GA 30512
Social Media Link: ingles-markets.com
|Name: Union General Hospital|
Address: 35 Hospital Rd, Blairsville, GA 30512
Social Media Link: Premier Health System in North GA Mountains | Union General Health System
Conclusion: Why should you Camp here?
This place is dazzling, from its preserved nature to the numerous things that the campers can do there. One can genuinely enjoy camping in that venue because of the beautiful places you can visit nearby, and the other people are friendly. The lakes, rivers, and ponds are perfect for doing some fishing, which might be your hobby, plus the hiking to the trail is quite good as you will be able to see such a lovely view that will give you enough satisfaction.
One of the best things in the nearby state parks wherein the campers will be able to go there and do some recreation area kinds of stuff can make them feel pleased. Everything in that place is exceptionally recommendable as it is utterly neat and clean because of the strict implementation of rules and regulations. Many campers tend to go back there because they offer excellent and good quality of services that one deserves, plus the campground is vastly large, so many people can camp there as well.
Several establishments are nearby on this venue, making it accessible if you have errands. You can read online about the excellent ratings of the nearby establishments. This place is also fantastic as it acquires this kind of serenity vibe, making it so fascinating, and the breathtaking views are also one reason why campers keep on going back. This place has it all, the wondrous scenery, enticing recreation area, numerous RV parks, and other things you are looking for.
It is a hundred percent guarantee that this place is quite exquisite; even in the reviews online, they mention that this venue is fantastic. Campers, RVers, and families should try to go here sometimes to vibe with the relaxing feels of this venue. Many people enjoy and are satisfied with this place.